Union Park Press is a small but growing, local press dedicated to publishing books about Boston and New England. Due to our size, we look for people who work well independently, enthusiastically, and are simultaneously strong team players, ready to pitch in at any minute. We seek outgoing, conscientious, and hard-working individuals who are dedicated to creating and presenting books for the general trade market. Creativity, critical thinking, and efficiency are highly valued. Please scroll down to see information about our open positions and internships.
We are always looking for interns–they are an invaluable part of the UPP team. Generally, we look for folks who are finishing up their undergraduate studies (junior/senior), and are willing to commit to working with us for at least a four month stretch. An internship with Union Park Press will give you the opportunity to learn about the book publishing industry from the ground up. (We do everything a large, established publishing house does–but we have to do it faster and cheaper.) UPP Interns participate in all aspects of bringing a book to market. We’re looking for people who are outgoing, conscientious, and hard-working. The ideal candidate is creative, takes initiative, and can execute tasks efficiently. A broad knowledge of Boston—its culture, history, and the local media scene—are preferred. An interest in the publishing industry is required. UPP internships are unpaid (college credit is possible); 10-12 hours a week.
Marketing, Publicity, Communications/Editorial, Production & Design Tasks May Include:
- Publicizing author events and Union Park Press news
- Marketing blasts for all books to local media and retailers
- Social networking through various platforms
- Sales calls to local bookstores, gift shops, etc.
- Reading submissions, writing reader’s report
- Conducting competitive title analysis
- Writing back copy, flap copy, marketing copy
- Contributing to Read Local Blog
- Market research for upcoming titles
- Assisting Authors with research, permissions, photo research
- Assisting Publisher with production and design related tasks
- Copyediting, proofreading, inputting edits
- Admin duties may include: order fulfillment, filing, phone work, data entry
Please send in your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.